The Park of Sv. Jakov
In historic documents we find data about the development of the park from 1845 to 1860, in the surroundings of Villa "Angiolina", once the property of Iginio Scarpa, a great lover of nature. Here many plants brought from the Far East, South America, Australia and other parts of the world may be found. The central Opatija park is a horticultural monument covering an area of 3.64 hectares. It is divided into 60 fields and about 159 plant species grow here. A great number of plants originate from distant parts of the world and they are not typical for this region. Among the numerous interesting plants growing in the park is the Japanese camelia (Camellia japonica) which in time has become the distinctive symbol of Opatija. In the park stands the oldest building in Opatija, the Church of St. Jakov, mentioned for the first time in historic documents in 1449. Today the park is divided into two separate units, one near the church - the Park of St.Jakov and the other near Villa "Angiolina" - Park "Angiolina".